I can say with no hesitation that Coconut Water is by a mile my favorite drink. I could drink it all day long instead of water. Love it. Love it. Love it. But besides that little detail, I also drink Coconut Water every single day because it has a good amount of phytonutrients, electrolytes, vitamins and minerals, it is one of the best things to keep me hydrated from inside out (and I am a hydration freak as you probably already know) and last but never least, it is a great source of potassium, a mineral I need in extra doses to keep at bay some OverMethylation side effects and I do prefer to drink it rather than take a pill for it. And yes, I am yet to talk about Methylation, so stay tuned cause soon I will.
Anyways, every day after my morning walks I rest for a while drinking some refreshing Coconut Water. That is the best moment for me to indulge in it. It is my little ritual. Afterwards I feel cooled down and restored.
Other facts and benefits of my beloved Coconut Water:
- It has only 46 calories in a 240 ml, 3g of fiber, 2g of protein, 10% of RDI Vitamin C, 15% of RDI Magnesium, 17% of RDI Manganese, 17% of RDI Potassium, 11% of RDI Sodium, 6% of RDI Calcium.
- It may help lower blood pressure. Or at least keep it in its healthy range.
- It may prevent and/or address cramping. It is way better than a banana for it, thanks to its Potassium levels.
- It is healthier and in some cases can be better in terms of nutrients than a sports drink as well. It will all depends on which nutrients you are after.
- It may provide cardioprotective effects due its nutrients.
- It may reduce the risk of kidney stones.
- It may help to address diabetes.
- It may protect against oxidative stress.
- It may maintain bone, teeth health and muscle strength.
- It is one of the best ways to keep the body well hydrated.
- It helps to maintain the proper fluid balance in the body.
But like everything in life, approach with moderation. Since Coconut Water has a high level of Potassium, it can lead to and OD of it (Hyperkalemia.) And it can be dangerous. It can lower way too much your blood pressure, cause irregular heartbeat, a heart attack and even paralysis.